Regular, scheduled monthly home maintenance service makes a lot of sense for a lot of homeowners. Here are just a few reasons:
Crawlspace/basement and attic issues
· Inspect for water damage/puddles/wet surfaces (spring and fall)
· Look for signs of pests (fall)
· Ensure that insulation is intact (fall)
· Check/fix ductwork connections; be sure fans exhaust to outdoors (annually)
Building envelope problems
· Be sure gutters are discharging water away from the home (spring)
· Check the attic for any roof leaks (spring)
· Ensure that roof shingles are in good condition (spring)
· Inspect the chimney, valley, skylight flashing and plumbing vent (spring)
· Check for peeling paint or water damage on the inside of exterior walls (spring)
· Look for leaks at door and window sills (spring)
· Check that flashing is intact beneath windows and doors (spring)
· Lubricate doors and windows (as needed)
· Clear exhaust ducts and clean dryer vent (spring and fall)
· Clean downspouts and gutters (spring and fall)
· Drain outdoor hoses/faucets (fall)
Plumbing, appliances and fixture issues
· Clean kitchen range hood screen (as needed)
· Clean ranges and ovens (fall)
· Check the shut-off valve/supply on all toilets (annually)
· Inspect washer and dishwasher hose connections (annually)
· Check for shower/tub surround damage (annually)
· Examine the refrigerator icemaker connection and drip pan (annually)
Electrical and detector issues
· Be sure ground fault interrupters are working (spring and fall)
· Inspect cords for damage (spring and fall)
· Test and replace batteries in carbon monoxide and smoke alarms (spring and fall)
· Replace furnace filters (monthly or quarterly, depending on need)
· Have the air conditioning system checked and cleaned (spring).
· Clean exhaust fan screens/outlets (spring).
· Have the heating system cleaned and checked (fall).
· Check thermostat operation and replace batteries if needed (annually).
This level of service would provide a hands on inspection monthly and work scheduled as your property needs dictate.